13 June 2013

Baby Bites: Squash and Zucchini Quinoa

We harvested squash, zucchini, and red onion recently from our garden, so I wanted to come up with a recipe for Nerd that included it all. And the squash and zucchini will be producing boatloads all summer. This will probably be one of many ways we prepare it this year!

Both squash and zucchini are good sources of potassium and dietary fiber. Quinoa is also a great source of fiber, but it also contains iron, manganese (great for bone health), folate, and protein. Onions supply vitamin C. Together, these ingredients make a great balanced main dish for your tot (or side dish for yourself...because I totally ate spoonful after spoonful straight from the pan). Nerd asked for thirds.

Fresh, homegrown zucchini and yellow squash with quinoa.

Ingredients:
  • 1 yellow squash, diced
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 1 small onion, sliced in half moons
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2-2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4-1/3 cup quinoa (I used red quinoa from Trader Joe's)
  • freshly-cracked pepper, to taste
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
***Note: The reason why there are variances in the amounts of chicken broth and quinoa is due to the fact that I had to add more chicken broth during cooking. The quinoa will differ depending upon how much you want. I think I'll be adding more next time.

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, allowing it to cook only long enough to release the aromatics (1-2 minutes). Then dump in the diced squash and zucchini. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until the squashes become soft and lightly translucent.

Add the chicken broth, quinoa, and pepper. Bring to a boil, throw back the heat, cover, and allow to simmer for roughly 20-25 minutes. You'll know it's done when the quinoa is tender.

Finally, take a potato masher and squish everything in the skillet. This isn't required, but I did it because it reminds me of the texture of my mom's cooked squash when I was a child.

Alternatives:
  • If you want to make this meal for a child under 12 months, throw it all into a blender for a tasty puree.
  • Use a micro-zester to grate a little fresh Parmesan on top. (Anyone notice a pattern in my recipes? I love Parm as an option for topping so many dishes!)
  • Want a little more spice? Add 1/2 to 1 tsp of ground cayenne pepper.
  • Don't have zucchini? Double up on yellow squash. Or vice versa if you don't have yellow squash.
  • Have the grill fired up? Throw your veggies on the grill for an added smoky flavor before simmering in the broth.

Let me know if you try a recipe! I'd like to hear feedback or any tweaks in ingredients or methods you try. Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...