10 July 2012

Nerd in the World: Month 8

8 month party in the front yard with her favorite frog.

"Is this another one of those stickers?"

"It sure tastes good!"

Trying frog legs for the first time.

Age: 8 months (yeah, I took these photos 3 weeks ago…so very late...)
Weight: ~19 lbs.
Length: ~28 in.
What can she do now?
  • she "talks" all the time now: "mama", "dada", and "yaya" (no "Mojo" just yet)
  • her pinching grasp is just about perfect
  • pulls up onto furniture and people
  • cruises along furniture
  • can turn around in a seated position
  • can lower herself to sitting from a standing position
  • follows a finger when pointing out objects
  • bounces when excited or happy
  • awaits Mojo's arrival when she hears his collar jingle from another room
  • pushes your hand away when you try to tickle her belly
  • stick her arm out in an attempt to wave

    Celebrations from the past month:
    • April is married! My friend and (now former) co-worker, April, married her sweetheart, Justin, in a beautiful outdoor wedding at the Brasstown Valley Resort. The ceremony made for a great excuse for our family to get away for the weekend, although the cabin we stayed in was a more fitting abode for spiders and the snake that crawled up through the vent in the bathroom. Because Mallory had just started using "mama" the night before the wedding, she practiced saying it all throughout the ceremony. I'm sure when April and Justin sit down to watch their wedding video for the first time, they'll hear Mal drowning out the preacher with her first word.
    Mr. and Mrs. Beck at their sunset ceremony.
    • Mal and Patrick play again. Now that they are sitting up, pulling up, and babbling, they make play dates way more interesting. Katy and I joke that we get them together so they can teach each other skills the other one hasn't yet mastered. But really, we're grooming them for their future together as Mr. and Mrs. ;)

    Snack time for babies.
    • Michael's cousin is married. We drove to Dublin for the ceremony. It was great seeing and catching up with Michael's family especially since we live so far from most of them. When the 2:00 in the afternoon OUTDOOR wedding ran late, we were slathering sunscreen on Mallory's face. Just say no to baby sunburn! Congrats to the new couple, Jessica and Aaron, on their nuptials.
    Enjoying the wind in her face and a little Daddy time.
    • Baby Ava came to visit. On Father's Day, our friends Lila and Charles brought their almost-4-month-old daughter for a lunch meant as a send-off since they were moving only a few days later. They had been living in Georgia while Lila pursued her doctorate degree at UGA in chemistry. So when she got the call to teach at a college in their home state of Alabama, we knew we had to see them one last time and cuddle with their little one. Mallory isn't used to being the older baby. She reached out for Ava and held her hand.

    Girlfriends in the making.

    A (Teacher) Mother's Thoughts:
    This is usually the time in summer where I start to think, "I have to go back to work soon…where did my summer go?" It's usually a combination of feeling both dread (no more days at the pool!) and excitement (I get to meet my new students!). And I know I said I would apply for a parapro position, keeping me in the education loop and providing me with the kind of schedule I crave. But I haven't applied anywhere. Not. One. School. I did make an effort to physically walk my body into the local city school academy to inquire about a position, but the woman working in the office told me the system wasn't hiring. *insert my surprised face here* When I went to the central office for the system to make sure the woman wasn't just trying to keep "outsiders" out, no one would talk to me. Several people walked by--and even said hello--but I was never acknowledged. Perhaps if I had been dying for a job, I would have been more aggressive in manner, demanding that someone notice me and offer me insight to the application process. But a para position (after benefits, furloughs, and taxes) would only earn me about $6K per year, if that. A stab to my pride…and to my master's degree. Heck, it's less than what I made as a para 8 years ago, and that's not accounting for babysitting and gas! So with some very possible changes coming up in our humble abode, I figure I can make at least that amount (but hopefully more) working from home with a much more flexible schedule. I may get antsy some days being at home, but at least I spend most of my time with my little girl. And there are no papers to grade or state tests to worry about. It's time for this momma to get out of her comfort zone and try something new. Hoping and praying that I can make it happen.

    And, no, I'm not telling…yet. If I can hone a few skills and iron some things out, I may make an announcement in a month or two. Until then, may the photos of Baby Nerd elicit a giggle or two. The girl is a hoot!

    She was tickled when Mommy laid on the blanket next to her.

    Happy baby.

    Here's the reason I put myself in the grass next to my girl.






    No comments:

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...