12 July 2012

Baby Bites: Edamame and Alphabets

As many of my friends have seen in Facebook and Instagram posts, I make most of Baby Nerd's foods. Not because I think she's too good for the stuff from the grocery store. She definitely eats those and loves most of them. And Lord knows if there's a baby food sale, I'm all over it. But making Baby Nerd's food satisfies me on so many levels. It's almost always cheaper than the jarred food, especially when some of our ingredients come from our own garden. It's a heck of a lot easier than I expected it to be. But most importantly, I simply love the idea of my child eating something made by my hands. Flashbacks to childhood comfort foods, anyone? ;)

And since my husband and I have developed a passion for cooking and enjoying fresh, healthy varieties of food, we have made it a goal of ours to introduce unique tastes at an early age. I don't want the Nerd to be the kind of child who will only eat chicken nuggets and French fries (although, our efforts may blow up in our faces one day...sure hope not). I just want her to be willing to try new things and always eat with meals with us. This mommy won't be keeping a back-up bag of Bagel Bites in the freezer when the kids refuse to eat Mommy's homemade pasta sauce over a bowl of angel hair.

So here's an easy recipe that Baby Nerd ate with great enthusiasm tonight. She's almost 9 months old, and she's already eating something I didn't try until I was in my 20's.

Ingredients:
Water
Chicken broth
Frozen edamame (shelled--I used half of a bag)
Alphabet pasta
Fresh chopped basil (dried will work, too--we just happen to grow it behind our kitchen)
Olive oil

Directions:
In a small sauce pan, pour roughly a cup of broth and dilute with 1/2 cup water. This will help reduce the sodium content. I also swirl in some olive oil at this point. Bring to a boil and add edamame. I added enough to have the liquid level about a half inch above the edamame. Allow to cook for several minutes. When they are al dente, add the alphabet pasta. I eyeballed it, putting in enough that I figured would absorb the rest of the liquid. If the pasta soaks up the broth before its done cooking, just add a little more water. Toss in the basil as you're taking the mix off the stove. Using a fork, mash through the mix to help the edamame split into halves (if your baby is younger--older babies and toddlers can handle whole edamame). Scoop into baby food containers (or 4-ounce freezer safe containers). Serve warm if doing so immediately. Store in freezer and carefully thaw in fridge before serving for future meals.



Hope your baby enjoys this meal as much as Baby Nerd! Post comments below if you give it a shot. Thanks for checking out this recipe. ;)




1 comment:

Em said...

I too have learned to love edanoms later in life than your little nerd. Props to you for your foodmakin' abilities!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...