11 September 2011

Nerd in Utero Project: Weeks 32-33


Sorry for my unkemptness.  Having a head/chest cold is taking its toll...
The sign on top was designed by one of my former GHP residents, Jessi Queen.  She was on my hall when I chose the theme "Olivia" back in 2007.  Because she was an art major that summer, she designed our hall T-shirt with a bridal Olivia (I was engaged at the time) and every girl's name on the back as an honorary bridesmaid.  After Jessi found out we were naming our baby Mallory Olivia, she wanted to make a poster with a mommy-to-be Olivia.  I'm loving it.  Check out Jessi's work here:  http://missjessiqueen.carbonmade.com/

How Far Along: 33 weeks, 5 days.  This week's entry combines weeks 32 & 33!
Size of Baby: A honeydew melon or a pineapple.  I'm sure it's a lot less painful to birth a honeydew melon.  Too many spines on a pineapple.
Total Weight Gain/Loss: Just over 30 pounds.  The weight gain has stagnated, which I'm grateful for.  The joint pain and leg cramps are more than I know what to do with.
Maternity Clothes: I want to give a shout-out to Old Navy for their super cheap maternity T-shirts.  I found a few long-sleeved numbers to go with the changing of seasons.  Target also gets a shout-out for having really cute nursing bras for reasonable prices.  
Simple, long-sleeved bliss.  Comfort is my biggest
 craving here in the 3rd trimester!

Definitely not what your grandma wore while nursing!

Baby-related Purchases: I had purchased an Angelcare baby monitor (as recommended by our friend, Sara, who had her baby last December) a couple of months ago from Ebay.  I chose the particular model because it came with 2 monitoring stations.  With us having a 2-story home (and the fact that Michael puts things where he can never find them and then sends me on the hunt for them), I figured 2 stations would serve us well.  Except, the seller didn't disclose that not all parts were included in the set she was selling.  The set needed 3 AC adapters.  It came with 2.  Michael and I spent hours shopping at electronic stores and online trying to find a match.  The cost of an extra adapter--before shipping and taxes--would be roughly $20.  That was on top of the $70 I spent on the original purchase.  I messaged the seller, claiming she had misled me as a customer by selling an incomplete set as one with all its parts and wanted a refund less the shipping costs.  She in her return message said I had had the monitor too long, that I had probably damaged it by now, and that there was no way she could have misled me.  She even told me I should have asked her about the adapters before committing to purchasing.  In my stick-it-to-you kind of attitude, I shot a final message back reminding her that being misled in this case meant that she had sold a product knowing it was missing a piece to someone who had put trust into her as a fellow mother and Ebay user.  I never heard back from her.
So…to the point…I resold the monitor on Ebay without the second station (as there was no AC adapter to make it run) for roughly the amount I originally spent on the set with both stations.  Door closed, window opened.  And now a new Angelcare monitor--with ALL necessary parts--is on its way to our house.
Gender: I know it's a girl, but man, she moves around like a professional soccer player from Brazil.
Movement: So many mother friends of mine claim that their babies quit making as many movements when they reached the end of their pregnancy.  They figured it was because their babies ran out of room.  The running out of room only pisses off Mallory Olivia.  The pokes and kicks are only more dramatic and more violent than they used to be.  Michael rested his hand across my belly one evening after I complained of kicking pains, and sure enough, he was elbowed in the palm with a mighty force.  I think he understands my pain now.
Sleep: I've had a few great nights of sleep, even though I have to get up to pee 5 times a night now.  But even after having to make midnight trips to the toilet, I am able to get back to sleep rather easily.  For the last couple of nights, a head/chest cold is the only thing disturbing my slumber.  It's difficult to sleep when it's difficult to breathe.
Belly Button In or Out: Out it goes.  Where it stops?  Nobody knows.
What I Miss: Being comfortable in one position for more than 5 minutes.  Seriously, I can't keep my body still while sitting, standing, leaning, or lying down (unless I'm unconscious).  And crossing legs is impossible, which used to be a way to help make myself more comfortable while sitting.
Cravings: Give me food, or give me death!
Symptoms: 
  • Thirsty and hungry.  This body is one crazy metabolic powerhouse/energy drain.
  • My extremities now go numb.  If I sit Indian-style, my feet start to tingle.  If I lean on my elbow, my hand goes to sleep.  I had read that this might happen, and it's only adding to my frustration of wanting to "be still" and not being able to do so!
  • Swelling is still only minor.
  • Reflux.  Not nearly as bad as before since I learned not to gorge myself on meals, but I still hate it when it happens.
  • Leg cramps.  I'll walk my kids to PE, and my legs will get that overcooked noodle feeling as if I just sprinted 5 miles.
  • The latest, as told in a quick, funny play: 
    • Me [after getting out of shower]: "Oh my GOSH, I'm leaking colostrum!"
    • [Footsteps heard bounding up the stairs. Michael is at our bathroom door, eyes wide as saucers.]
    • Me: "What?  Are you here for the freak show?"
    • Michael: "Of course!"
  • Belly shift.  Happens all the time.  Here are before and after photos of what I'm talking about:
Mallory in the middle.
Mallory migrates to the right.
      



Managing the Stress: The nail salon.  God bless the Vietnamese women of the salon I visit.  For 2 hours and $45, I received: a good soaking in the foot spa; polish jobs on hands and feet (plus a design on my big toes); cuticle treatments; exfoliating scrubs from toes to knees and fingers to elbows; a mentholated mud mask on my feet and ankles that they then wrapped in hot towels; and full-pressure lotion massages from feet to knees (including with a bamboo rod…the leg massage alone lasted 30 minutes), fingers to elbows, and my neck and shoulders.  Oh, and they brought me a pillow to support my sore lumbar region.  I have not found another salon that does this much for their customers.
Worries: It sounds stupid, but I'm afraid I won't have my report cards done before the baby comes.  We have many issues with the way report cards are handled by our school system, and being a very vocal member of the county's report card committee has done nothing to help bring forth change that would actually HELP teachers find relief in the process.  My last day of work is 14 October.  Just you wait.  My prediction is that they'll send out the most up-to-date electronic report cards on the 12th.  Rock--ME--hard place.
What I Look Forward To: Being "full term".  After 36 weeks, Baby Nerd is allowed to come whenever the heck she feels like it.  Even if it means going into labor at work.  I'm just that uncomfortable.
Celebrations:  
  • Remembering and honoring the heroes and the fallen from 9/11/01.  You will never be forgotten or forsaken.
  • Michael and I had maternity pictures made with the ever-so-talented Melissa Pepin (her blog in on my blogroll).  She was our wedding photographer, and being around her is just a breath of fresh air.  She is a mommy to two precious babies: Riley and Reese (which both look exactly like their daddy, Anthony, one of Michael's fraternity brothers/co-workers).  Melissa also has the sense of humor that is quick and loaded with sound effects and classic facial expressions, so she keeps me in stitches.  Can't wait to see the photos she took of us!
  • I have started knocking out parent/teacher conferences, and so far, they are going very smoothly. Thank heavens for parents who actually support you as an educator.  Even former parents who keep in touch make a difference in the outlook I have on this career.
  • OK, don't think I'm weird, but I got a new hair color and I'm really excited about it.  The blond is gone so I don't have to worry about keeping my roots maintained with a newborn.  Tanya from The White House Salon here in Jefferson does my 'do, and she did a fabulous job getting my hair "back to brown" without making it look flat.
  • I have had a couple of strangers or casual readers reach out to me because of my blog in the last couple of weeks.  It is incredibly humbling to know that something I have written has touched the life of another human being.  Thanks to everyone who keeps up with little ol' me via the blog.  You make me want to keep writing!

1 comment:

A. Hab. said...

OMG, you are so stinkin' cute!! I love the brown 'do, myself. I think it really makes your eyes pop. The pictures of your belly moving around were both hilarious...and a little bit enlightening. I learned from a friend who just had her baby that you can actually see the movements (her baby was apparently a big fan of coming to A.Hab.'s house, lol). I didn't know the baby could...like...change the shape of your belly! In a weird way, I'm actually looking forward to experiencing it myself, lol.

I hope the report card situation doesn't continue to cause you stress. I have my fingers crossed for you that everything resolves soon! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...