28 August 2011

Nerd in Utero Project: Weeks 29-31

And now for the tapering of the belly!  At this rate, it's going to look like a mountain peak in a matter of days.


How Far Along: I've missed a couple of weeks…so goes the life of a teacher.  Today, we're covering weeks 29-31.
Size of Baby: A squash.  How very "autumn" of our to-be-born-in-October baby.
Total Weight Gain/Loss: Just over 30…and some of it fell off with the virus I've had earlier last week.
Maternity Clothes: I'm pretty much in maternity clothes ALL THE TIME, but I did have to do some extra shopping for work-appropriate clothing.  And Michael's shirts are making the most comfortable PJs.  I have more than outgrown all of my T-shirts.
One favor to ask all the mommies out there: Are there any of you with fall/winter maternity clothes (in my size, of course) that I could possibly borrow for the last few weeks of our pregnancy?  Or know of any places where I can get them SUPER cheap?  Sure, I'll be pregnant in the fall, but only for a handful of weeks.  I hate to spend lots of $$$ on clothing I'm only going to wear (at my largest) for a short time.
Baby-related Purchases: I took advantage of a clothing sale at a Carter's outlet store in Commerce last weekend.  I was a sucker for one of the Halloween onesies they had on a sale rack.

Michael's family hosted a shower down in Dublin yesterday, where we received some useful gifts--diapers and wipes, clothing, a UGA diaper bag (Go DAWGS!), and toiletries.  I stayed up late putting everything in the nursery or in the guest bathroom.  Am I a little nuts thinking I have to put every new baby item away as soon as I get it?

I'm also shopping for a photographer who does maternity/newborn photos (you know--the ones with cute hats or put the babies in the handwoven baskets/UGA football helmets/free-hanging cocoon-like hammocks…yadda yadda cuteness) whose session price includes the digital image disc.  I've been doing my research, but it seems you either sacrifice image quality for the disc or the disc for image quality.  I want both!
Gender: Such a girl.  She's already full of drama.
Movement: We're getting the movements that make you wonder just what it is you have growing in your uterus.  A crocodile?  An alien from Mars?  The eight-armed Indian goddess Durga?  Seriously, folks, some of the pokes from Baby Nerd's arms and legs look other-worldly.  Even when she's not moving, she positions herself in such a way so that my belly looks lumpier than a 20-year-old mattress.  She must be running out of space.
Sleep: Can't sleep in the bed without the Snoogle and two pillows under my head.  This helps with the reflux.  I have had a couple of great nights of slumber, but I think that's just pure dumb luck.  There's no way these last few weeks of pregnancy are going to make sleeping easy.  Baby moves, bladder gets full, heartburn acts up…even a half-hour nap is scared.
Belly Button In or Out: Out when I'm standing, flat when I'm lying down.
What I Miss: Eating without popping Tums.  They taste lovely (especially the Smooth Melts variety), and they do provide you with an extra boost of calcium.  But I have always been fortunate enough to be able to eat without interference.  I'm hoping the carrying of Tums in the purse is merely temporary.
Cravings: Salty stuff (hello, pretzels!) and dairy stuff (tall glasses of milk and lots of cheese).  Dark chocolate with sea salt is a favorite.  I still cannot get enough Caesar salad.
Symptoms: 
  • So incredibly thirsty.  Water is now more precious than platinum.
  • Oh, the body aches!  I need a prenatal massage…or two or three...
  • Some swelling, especially around my fingers.  I was able to remove my wedding rings only twice last week.  I'm starting to debate whether I should continue to wear them here at the end stages.
  • Reflux.  Total and utter grossness.  This is why Tums and I are boyfriend/girlfriend now, but I plan on breaking up after Mallory Olivia arrives.
Managing the Stress: Sitting on my rear has never been more glorious or appreciated than now.  When I see a chair, I swear I see a holy glow around it.
Worries: When I started having contractions on Monday morning, I just figured I was experiencing the typical Braxton Hicks scenario.  But as the day went on while I was at work, they only got worse and I became very nauseated.  My teammate, Tamela, made me go home (which was smart).  I called the doctor to see what I could do to ease the contractions: drinking lots of water, lying down, taking a warm bath.  I tried them all, and still, the contractions got worse.  So when two of them were only 3 minutes apart and had me dry heaving over our toilet, I called Michael (in a crying hysteria) to come get me and take me to the doctor.  All I could think was how it was several weeks too early to be going into labor.  When we finally were seen by Dr. Goggin, he checked my cervix and reassured us that we weren't having any babies anytime soon.  His diagnosis?  An intestinal virus--most likely colitis--was causing my bowels to contract, and (as a side effect) was also causing my uterus to contract.  He said some women experience this when they take stimulant laxatives to put themselves into labor.  Loosening up your bowels apparently can cause you to labor.  In my case, I was having contractions, but not enough to cause our baby to try to make her way out.  He put me on the virus diet and sent us on our way.  Sure enough, the virus wreaked havoc on my insides, but it has pretty much passed through my system and I'm feeling human again.  Contractions have become mild cramps, and Mallory is kicking like a hellion in her stubborn demands for food more solid than Jell-O and chicken broth.  I'm hesitant to eat the spicy foods I desire…maybe sometime next week?
What I Look Forward To: Breathing like a normal person.  It's becoming so labored now.
Celebrations:  

  • My mom's birthday was yesterday.  While we do take the time to celebrate every year, birthdays for our small family have been gloriously subdued.  We don't try to bring about all this pomp and circumstance for every year that's added to the anniversaries of our births.  We simply find time to do something together--like dinner, a pedicure, a shopping trip together--and just enjoying each other's company.  This year, we did have to split the celebrating between the family shower and her actual birthday, but it was memorable all the same and Mom even spent the night at our house. Birthday dinner was take-out Chinese on our living room couches while the three of us watched TV and cracked jokes about Mojo and mom being a grandmother soon.  Love birthdays like this!
  • Family shower in Dublin!  It may be a long drive, but it's always fun spending time with family members who truly care about you and the life you are about to bring into the world.
  • I survived virus-induced contractions.  Bring on the "real" labor.
  • We met Mallory's future pediatrician.  He's both an internist and pediatrician, so we can all see him for our ailments.  Hello, family doctor!
  • That 4-D ultrasound of Baby Nerd.  We are so in love with our little girl already, but seeing her face just makes it real.  Only a few weeks before we can hold her!

6 comments:

Laura said...

I've loved all your "Baby Nerd" posts! We are so excited for you!

A. Hab. said...

This is super exciting, Vik! :) It just makes me so happy to hear all these wonderful celebrations you're able to have while you're in your last couple of months. I did want to say a couple of things:
1. as for the wedding rings, I would personally remove them as soon as they started to become difficult. You can wear them on a chain around your neck, too. Although it sucks to take off your rings for any amount of time, at least you will rest assured knowing that there will be no reason for the doctors to have to saw them off. (Or, worse, that you would never be able to get them off again--Robert's mom hasn't removed her wedding rings since before Robert was born. The swelling in her knuckles apparently never went back to normal. I don't think this is actually very common, but I do know she hasn't removed those rings in 28 years.)
2. I am sorry to hear that you had to go through a yucky virus, especially one that caused you to experience such painful contractions! Do you think the nausea was because of the pain or because of the actual virus itself? I hope you're starting to feel better, and that the contractions have subsided. Nobody needs to experience that kind of anxiety and fear.

I hope school has been off to a great start! :)

Jen Stanton said...

Hi there, I've been reading your blog for the past couple of months and absolutely love it. I was originally looking for pictures of babies in utero to see what my baby might look like at a certain week. And I came across your blog instead! I'm so glad I did. I tend not to read blogs too much but yours really caught my eye. I love your down to earth attitude and the way you write. I've enjoyed reading.

I noticed that you said you were looking for a photographer.

www.juliabailey.com Julia and her husband Max are absolutely amazing. Most of their photographs are weddings, but they do all of the family types of photos as well. They did our engagement and wedding photos almost 4 years ago and I fell in love with them. They will be doing my pregnancy and newborn photos in the upcoming months. (I'm due Dec 31) They do digital and you don't sacrifice anything when you receive your cd of prints.

The downside is that they are in New Orleans. On the upside, they do travel. Her e-mail is j_b42@yahoo.com. If you want her phone number just let me know. On her website, under slideshows, you can find me and my husband under Jennifer and James 2007. If you want to see any other pictures from our engagement or wedding, I can send them to you as well. And if you have any questions about them, feel free to ask.

Jen Stanton
jstanton0876@yahoo.com
Facebook: Jennifer Melcer Stanton

V-Dub said...

Jen,
Thanks for your post! I'm always excited to receive a comment from someone who happens upon my site through an Internet search. First of all, congrats on your pregnancy! I love that you're due during the holiday season. That will surely be a memorable delivery. Do you know if you're having a boy or a girl? Either way, a happy, healthy baby is really all that matters.

I also appreciate the photography recommendation. After doing the research and taking advantage of our social connections, we now have found ourselves a photographer. She's local, so we wouldn't have to worry about travel expenses. But I do want to say thanks for reaching out to a total stranger with a recommendation!

Shoot me an email when your little bundle arrives in this world. I wish you the best, and I hope you have a fabulous Labor Day weekend!

V. Dub

Jen Stanton said...

You are very welcome! And thank you very much, we are very excited. I already have 2 kids and my husband has 3. Right now we have 3 girls in the house and 1 boy. My step-son is 19 and lives away from home. Everyone in the house but my oldest daughter wanted me to have a boy since my son and husband are completely outnumbered. Now we get to have one together and it turns out I'm having a girl! You should have heard the groans from the gentlemen in the house. I never thought we would get to have a baby together. We have been together a total of almost 6 years, 5 without b/c. I had tests done and was told that I was fine. My hubby hemmed and hawed about getting tested and I didn't push it. I just figured I would never have another baby. Then, BAM! I'm pregnant. Talk about HUGE surprise! (He says that we were on the 5 year plan lol)

I'm actually nervous about having the baby during the holidays. I'm scheduling a c-section for right after Christmas but you know all babies are on their own time schedule. I don't want to go into labor before Christmas, not with 4 kids already in the house.

Anyway, I'm so happy that you were able to find a photographer in your area. I'm sure the shots will be amazing. I hope you will post them. :-D

Jen Stanton said...

You are very welcome! And thank you very much, we are very excited. I already have 2 kids and my husband has 3. Right now we have 3 girls in the house and 1 boy. My step-son is 19 and lives away from home. Everyone in the house but my oldest daughter wanted me to have a boy since my son and husband are completely outnumbered. Now we get to have one together and it turns out I'm having a girl! You should have heard the groans from the gentlemen in the house. I never thought we would get to have a baby together. We have been together a total of almost 6 years, 5 without b/c. I had tests done and was told that I was fine. My hubby hemmed and hawed about getting tested and I didn't push it. I just figured I would never have another baby. Then, BAM! I'm pregnant. Talk about HUGE surprise! (He says that we were on the 5 year plan lol)

I'm actually nervous about having the baby during the holidays. I'm scheduling a c-section for right after Christmas but you know all babies are on their own time schedule. I don't want to go into labor before Christmas, not with 4 kids already in the house.

Anyway, I'm so happy that you were able to find a photographer in your area. I'm sure the shots will be amazing. I hope you will post them. :-D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...