21 June 2011

Nerd in Utero Project: Week 21

Visiting with my very first student from my educational career, Hannah!  I'm glad to include her in this week's post.
Hannah and me when she was in 2nd grade.  She's grown so much since then!

How Far Along: 21 weeks, 7 days
Size of Baby: The size of a large banana.  
Total Weight Gain/Loss: 16 pounds.
Maternity Clothes: I figured that if my boobs were going to keep growing, that all I would need to do is buy the next cup size to accommodate.  Then I started having issues with being able to take a breath.  The band of my bra was restricting my lungs when inhaling that stuff we call oxygen.  So I went back to my go-to store for brassieres (Target) and tried on not only a C-cup, but one with a 36-inch band.  I had so much more room to breathe, I bought 3 of them.  I'm hesitant to buy any others in that size just in case there's another growth spurt.  Soon I'll have to invest in new undies.  My thighs are getting a bit too chunky for existing leg holes.
Baby-related Purchases: We bought a crib on Father's Day!  It's a Graco convertible crib, so it can be transformed into a day bed, and, later on, a full-sized bed.  Our marriage survived the crib-assembly later on the same evening.  It is an incredibly frustrating task.
Michael and Mojo with the crib post-assembly.  As we discovered, it's tough for a dog to turn an Allen wrench.
Gender: A girl!
Movement: If I want to feel her move, all I have to do is lie down.  I feel her best when I'm on my back, but she's starting to move some when I lie on my side.  The other night while laying on my left side, I could feel what felt like her arms reaching out near the bottom of my rib cage.
Sleep: Snoogle and I made up.
Belly Button In or Out: It is making it's way out now.  Even Michael noticed it when he was rubbing my belly yesterday.
What I Miss: My former center of gravity.  It baffles me how much it has shifted now that my belly protrudes.  Now I know what turtles feel like when they end up on their backs and can't move.
Cravings: Fruit is about it in the sweets category.  Well, that and the daily sodas or sweet tea I consume.  Salty is still where it's at.  And since I do crave salty foods, I'm trying not to add extra salt to other foods so that I don't overload on sodium.
Symptoms: 
  • The back pain has been coming and going for weeks now.  It's usually concentrated right near my tailbone, especially if I'm on my feet for a long time.  Going back to work to start the school year in August is going to be tough.
  • Hunger is a beast.  No wonder the weight is coming on so fast.  I cannot seem to satiate my appetite.
  • Overall sluggishness.  It's hard to get motivated to clean house or go grocery shopping when you're significantly heavier than you used to be.  I take frequent breaks to avoid exhausting myself.  And with my OCD tendencies, I have to make lists so that I can feel a sense of accomplishment when I do have the motivation.
Managing the Stress: Spent some time at the gym, which always makes me feel better (even though it's difficult for me to drag my rear out of bed to go).  I'm hoping to get in some pool time.  It's too hot to be outside without the cool relief of dunking in the pool.
Worries: Is it too soon to start stressing about a birthing plan?  Michael has asked me a few times what type of delivery I would be most comfortable with, and I always reply with, "Can't the stork just bring her?"  I have an ultrasound schedule tomorrow.  I'll ask the doc what he recommends.
What I Look Forward To: Seeing what Baby Nerd looks like on the ultrasound tomorrow!  She was turned in such a way last time that we didn't get to see her face.  We're hoping she'll turn enough to show us facial features, even if it's just her nose in profile.
Celebrations:
Michael holding baby Sam at the hospital where we'll be delivering Baby Nerd this fall.  Do I hear wedding bells already?
  • Our good friends/Michael's co-workers, Ben and Krissy, had their first baby on Father's Day and one day before Krissy's birthday.  Their story starts with a struggle with fertility (which brought Krissy and me closer together) and ends with a bouncing baby boy they named Sam.  He has a head full of dark hair, super long toes, and the cutest forehead wrinkle.  Krissy and I are psyched about future play dates for our little ones.
  • I had the chance to visit with my friend Julie and her daughter Hannah (the cutie in this week's picture with me) for a few hours on Monday.  Hannah was the first student I ever worked with in public education when I was a parapro in an autism classroom.  Watching her grow in her learning and develop social skills in the face of autism has brought me so much joy over the years.  She loves American Idol, swimming, and she has one heck of a singing voice.  The most memorable talent show I can remember her performing in was several years ago when she performed "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid.  When I saw Hannah on Monday, I asked her, "Hannah, what's different about me?"  And she replied, "There's a baby in your belly!"
  • I have news from a fellow blogger friend that I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to share yet, but let's just say it put a smile on my face when I read it in an email!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...