24 April 2011

Nerd in Utero Project: Week 13

Weeks 24 and 32 have been claimed!  Let me know if you would like to create a poster for one of our Nerd in Utero posts.  We are really enjoying that our loved ones are taking part in this journey.  :)


Happy belated Earth Day!




How Far Along: 13 weeks, 4 days
Size of Baby: The size of a peach.  By the way, every time I have bought peaches at the grocery store over the last couple of weeks, they are way too firm and not sweet at all!  I've moved to the country.  Now I want to eat lots of peaches.
Total Weight Gain/Loss: Still about 5 pounds.
Maternity Clothes: I know I mention Target all the time, but seriously, their clothing department is the best thing that has ever happened to my wardrobe.  I found another cute loose-fitting top, as well as an empire-waisted jersey-knit dress.  Neither were from the maternity department.  I found them in juniors.  And guess what?!?!  I was able to purchase my very first B-cup bra this week!  And it was a perfect fit!  I'm still in shock.
Baby-related Purchases: Not this week.
Gender: After doing lots of research, it seems it is possible that we will know our little nerd's sex at Monday's appointment, but I can't help but think that there's a chance that Baby Nerd won't be turned the right way or that there will be a shadow on the ultrasound that covers important "parts".  I'm trying not to get my hopes up...
Movement: Still nada.
Sleep: I have enjoyed the amount of sleep I have had this spring break!  I have slept until 7:30 every day, and I take a nap whenever the housework wears me out.  Yes, while my co-workers have been on cruises and sunned themselves on the beach, I have been cleaning toilets and mopping floors.  Soon, I will be tackling paper-grading.
Belly Button In or Out: In, in, in.  My waist has expanded to 30 inches, though.  I think my navel might pop pretty soon.
What I Miss: Not having to think twice about the air I'm breathing.  I mean, I always hated breathing in other people's cigarette smoke or exhaust fumes from our lawn mower.  In either case, I can usually relocate my physical being and all is OK in the world.  But now, if something other than plain ol' air enters my lungs, I am left worrying over the possible effects on Baby Nerd.  What about the nail polish and acetone smells when I get a pedicure?  Or the smoke of a roaring campfire?  Should I hold my breath when pumping diesel into our VW?  Pregnancy books talk about "dangerous fumes" and how they can be controlled while gestating.  Even though we started long ago, this is one of the many reasons we have gone green with the cleaners in our household.  You won't find bleach or ammonia anywhere in our house (yay for vinegar spray!).  There's always something, though, that I'll be forced to inhale simply because I will be in breathing distance.
Cravings: So every time a food commercial comes on, I want that food.  Taco Bell commercial?  I immediately crave a ranchero chicken soft taco.  Pizza Hut commercial?  I want a slice of pepperoni-black olive pizza.  Carrabba's commercial?  Hit me up with a plate of mezzaluna pasta and a huge Caesar salad.
Symptoms: 
  • I thought the sleepiness was supposed to start tapering by now...
  • B-cup boobies!
  • I'm so thirsty all the time, I carry a squeezy water bottle of ice cold aqua almost everywhere with me.  Here at home, I still keep a glass at arm's length.  Water is the first thing I consume when I wake up to cure my sleeper's cotton mouth.
  • I pee so much, I should buy stock in Charmin TP and Kohler toilets.
  • I'm beginning to experience heartburn every now and again.  It's not to the level of leaving me incapacitated, but it's uncomfortable and kind of gross.
Managing the Stress: I have worked in the yard quite a bit this week.  I was able to plant a few bell peppers, some tomatoes, and 3 rows of bush beans.  It also feels REALLY good to get caught up on housework.  I still have to organize and store some bills, but I'm glad to have had this week away from work to get so much done.
Worries: This next visit is Baby Nerd's first "health" visit, so I'm still concerned about what the doc could find.  I'm way more concerned about this than the chance of not finding out the baby's sex.
Celebrations: 
  • Celebrating Reeve's (my grandmother) birthday with my her, my mom and my grandfather up in Gillsville.  Papa made BBQ chicken, which went well with sides of green beans, potato salad, and fluffy dinner rolls.  All Reeve talked about while Mojo and I visited was the baby.  She's so dang excited about being a great-grandmother, especially since she probably loves her grandson-in-law (yes, I'm talking about Michael) more than she loves sweet tea.  And she really loves sweet tea.
  • Not being so far behind on housework.
  • Had lots of time to experiment with food and recipes with my spring break.  Michael and I got to grill strip steaks and corn on the cob one night earlier in the week.  We even sat at the table to eat.  :)
  • B-CUP BOOBIES!!!  Maybe I should throw a party in their honor?
  • Seeing the overall results of this year's 5th grade writing test before going back to work.  There was a 14-point gain between last year's and this year's passing scores!  It has been a blessing working with this 5th grade team, not because of its successes, but because we do everything as a unit.  They are my family at work.
  • Seeing my father-in-law preach for the first time since I met Michael.
GENDER ANNOUNCEMENT PLANS:
So since we were very open about our struggles to get pregnant and we have had followers of our story, Michael and I sort of "missed" our chance at announcing our pregnancy to our family in a unique way.  You girls out there know what I'm talking about.  You dream about the way you'll tell your mother she's going to be a grandmother the way you dream about your wedding or your husband's proposal…  I had concocted a few dorky ideas of my own in telling my mom: giving her a picture frame just for the hell of it but with a sonogram picture already in it or presenting her with a "World's Best Grandma" coffee mug on Mother's Day.  But when I was giving her the latest about my menstrual cycles and doctor's visits, I lost the opportunity to really surprise her with our pregnancy news. Well, I wanted to come up with a unique way of revealing Baby Nerd's sex to my mom, as well as Michael's parents.  IF (big, big "if" here) we find out the sex tomorrow, we will send a bouquet of flowers to my mom at work and another to Michael's parents at their house.  If the flowers they receive are purple or blue, then they're having a grandson.  If the flowers are pink, they're having a granddaughter.  We won't announce Baby Nerd's sex until our parents know first, so it might be the end of the week before they get their grandbaby flowers and everyone else gets to find out!


1 comment:

A. Hab. said...

I love the gender announcement idea! :) Also, I have another friend who is just over 22 weeks into her pregnancy, and it's so funny because she adores Target too! Last week was her first shopping excursion into the maternity sections--she's like you. Super petite. She normally shops in juniors...until after her belly button popped out. Once that happened, there was just no way to fit comfortably in those clothes. But she always looks professional, tastefully dressed, and utterly adorable. I've said it once and I'll say it again: I am so happy that our generation doesn't have to suffer with maternity muumuus!

Oh...and I think it's in this particular picture that I can start to tell. I bet your friends who see you day-to-day and in person can tell more...but as far as photos go, I think this is the one for me. I love seeing your weekly photos! They're so sweet! :)

Good luck at tomorrow's appointment! I have my fingers crossed that you get a perfect angle!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...