17 April 2011

Nerd in Utero Project: Week 12


90s flashback with some neon colors! 


How Far Along: 12 weeks, 5 days
Size of Baby: The size of a plum.
Total Weight Gain/Loss: Between 4-5 pounds.
Maternity Clothes: I bought a loose-fitting top from Old Navy last weekend I thought I could wear comfortably in the desert next month.  Other than that, no.
SNOOGLE!
Baby-related Purchases: My next-door neighbor, Jennifer, invited me to go garage sale shopping yesterday.  She was on the hunt for furniture for her daughter's room, and I figured I could shop around for baby-related items.  Sure enough, I found an antique fold-up crib that I can keep at my mom's house when she keeps our little nerd.  It was in great shape and was easy to get into the back of our VW.  I get to give it to my mom tomorrow!
Gender: Every time I mention a symptom to someone new, they always say: "Sounds like a boy!"
Movement: No, but I can definitely feel my uterus when I press on my abdomen.
Sleep: I fall asleep faster than ever.  Heck, I fall asleep faster than Michael, and anyone who knows my husband's sleeping habits knows he could win Olympic gold with how quickly he can zonk out.  Staying asleep--with all the peeing and light REM stage of sleep--is about impossible.  But my very considerate husband ordered the Snoogle pillow for me this week to help me rest a little easier.  I must say, this sleeping tool is quite an amazing companion.  I mean, my head can be on the same pillow that props my on-top knee when I lay on my side?  Yes, please.
Belly Button In or Out: Still holds water like a mini-reservoir, so in.
What I Miss: Being able to make it to dinner without snacking.  Lunch is at 12:30 on work days, and we usually don't eat dinner until 6:00 or so.  If I don't eat in between those meals, watch out.  I exude a kind of grouchiness even I have trouble handling.
Cravings: Now that the herb garden is in full swing, I want meals and drinks accented with fresh herbs. I put mint in all of my drinks.  Oregano is great in pasta and on pizza.  Chives are great in potatoes.  Once my basil plant gets a little bigger, we'll be making some PESTO.
Symptoms: 
  • Sleep…it's taking over my life.
  • The acne comes and goes.  And when it comes, it flares up like crazy on my upper arms.
  • Incessant thirst.  I already drink a lot of water, but I crave it the way I used to crave sweet tea or a glass of milk.  I keep glasses in almost every room of the house now so I can make myself a drink straight from the tap.  Michael says it reminds him of the little girl from "Signs".
  • With all the fluid I'm taking in, I have an awful lot to give back.  I'm up somewhere between 1 and 2 times each night to pee.  I have to make sure to go before committing to any long-term event, like walking around the garage sale yesterday or before I leave for the grocery store.
Managing the Stress: Sleeping and gardening.  Gosh, I need to get back to the gym.  How am I going to hike around the Grand Canyon next month if I'm not in shape?
Worries: Health of the baby.  The appointment we have scheduled for 25 April is to check for abnormalities.  Yeah, we have our eyes on you, chromosomes 4 and 21!  We are stinkin' excited that we're pregnant and that we have gotten this far on the pregnancy timeline.  It sure would be nice to bring home a healthy baby.  The gender check is just supposed to be the "bonus" of this visit.
Celebrations: Two words: SPRING BREAK!  I have a week to get caught up on everything I'm behind on with my time "off".  So yeah, floors will be mopped, weeds will be pulled, papers will be graded.  Heck, I might find some time for me somewhere in there, and I can sleep past 5:00am.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...