10 April 2011

Nerd in Utero Project: Week 11

This week's poster was made by fellow nerd and lovely co-worker, Bree.  Yes, it's cooler than any poster I could make.  Yes, she chose Week 11 because it's her favorite number.  And yes, it's laminated. 

I figured it's hard to read the poster in the first shot, so I took a shot of it by itself.  There are 11 different facts, and they are nerd-tastic!



How Far Along: 11 weeks, 5 days
Size of Baby: The size of a lime.  That must mean my uterus is really getting big.
Total Weight Gain/Loss: Roughly 4 pounds.
Maternity Clothes: I bought 2 BeBands at Target earlier in the week, but mysteriously, only 1 came home with me…pregnant brain in action yet again?
Baby-related Purchases: Allow me to tell you a little story about how we came to buy our first baby item.  Michael and I were in the Mall of GA area so we could buy him some new jeans and other miscellaneous clothing.  I knew there was a Babies R Us in the area, and my sister-in-law had given me a gift card to this store as a part of my birthday present.  It made sense to spend it while in the general vicinity.  We find the store, park, and walk in.  The both of us immediately go into shock.  Starry-eyed pregnant women are waddling around every aisle with their husbands two steps behind carrying a baby registry gun.  We mosey from one aisle to the next, trying to avoid having a stroke at the sight of prices of car seats and strollers and high chairs.  My husband, who has never bought any gift for anyone's baby that was more complicated than a 3-pack of onesies, gasps at every price sticker and proceeds to ask me if there's a 5-in-one set that covers stroller, high chair, car seat, bouncer, and pack-and-play.  I tell him he'll have to invent it if he wants it.  Then we venture through the furniture (mistake), the bed linens (holy crap, to be gender specific or not?), crib mattresses (to which Michael asks, "You mean those don't come with the cribs?"), and nursing items (egad, pumps cost $150?).  So we go to the least overwhelming aisle of all: the baby healthcare aisle.  It doesn't have a a visual war of pink vs. blue.  It's not covered with annoying wall decor.  It is simply a section of the store that focuses on baby wellness, and this is something we can handle.  We decide on a 1-second read ear thermometer and a baby first aid kit.  I tell Michael that if we decide to register here, I'll come back with a girlfriend that has been through the process and he can stay at home.  For the first time since we enter the store, he actually breathes.
Gender: We find out in 2 weeks!
Movement: Nope.  This should start in a couple of weeks.
Sleep: As easy as it is to fall asleep, I cannot make it through the night now.  I have to get up at least once a night to pee.  Looks like frequent napping is going to be my new hobby.
What I Miss: Being able to wear a belt without it getting on my nerves.  I feel like the old, surly uncle at Thanksgiving who complains about being hungry, scarfs everything in sight, and then complains about being stuffed to the point of needing to unbutton his pants.
Cravings: Apples, cheese, citrus, and soda water.  Occasionally, I eat some ice cream.
Symptoms: 
  • Extreme fatigue.
  • Increase in trips to the bathroom.  Yay for urination!
  • Constantly hungry.  I couldn't make it through proctoring a 2-hour session of CRCT without eating something.
Managing the Stress: I haven't been to the gym this week, and my right wrist/forearm hurts horribly after all the digging I did last weekend.  I need a massage and about a half-hour on the treadmill.  I'm starting to feel like a blob.
Worries: Will I be able to survive our 10-day trip from Las Vegas to Jackson, WY in a few weeks?  We want a "last hurrah" kind of trip since we won't be for a while after the baby is born.  Yet at the same time, I worry I'll poop out really quickly or sleep so much in the rental car, I'll miss all the neat scenery along the way.
Celebrations: I have a few to name from the last couple of weeks, so bear with:
  • I received a gift from childhood friend and fellow blogger, A. Hab (see my blog list to the left), a couple weeks ago.  It is a pewter bird's nest bracelet charm with a pearl egg inside.  She bought it from a funky little gift shop in Auburn, and it symbolizes home, family, and fertility.  Since I don't wear things around my wrist, I threaded it onto one of my silver necklace chains.  It is so pretty!
  • I also received a card in the mail from a former co-worker, Tracie.  She and I worked as parapros in a special education classroom back in Clarke County with lead teacher, Leah.  The three of us were inseparable.  When Leah announced her pregnancy when I still worked in Clarke, she gathered the 3 of us together to share the happy moment.  I wanted all three of us together for my announcement, but since Leah, Tracie, and I all live and work in different places now, we had to do the best we could to "gather" us together for the moment.  Leah and I met for lunch and called Tracie from the restaurant.  And despite the heartbreak Tracie has since experienced in losing her father in his battle against cancer, she radiated her positive energy and shared joy by sending me the card with a loving letter inside.  I miss working with you every day, Tracie!
  • Friends and co-workers are constantly looking out for me and asking how the pregnancy is going.  It feels good to be loved.
  • I received word that my high school friend, Kenneth, will be visiting Georgia in a couple of weeks!  His older sister, Christina, lives 5 minutes from our house, so I'm looking forward to our visit.
  • SPRING BREAK IS IN ONE WEEK!!!!!!!
Best Quote of the Week: While eating lunch in the teacher's lounge on Friday, Mitzie (SPED teacher and friend) looks across the table at my chest and exclaims, "Is that your bra or is that the pregnancy?  Dang, girl!"  This kind of remark would be a first for me--EVER.  :)


2 comments:

A. Hab. said...

I got your sweet thank-you note in the mail, too! :) I'm so glad you like it. I love that little shop--they have the coolest stuff!

Also, Robert wants Michael to know that we would TOTALLY buy a 5-in-1 baby starter kit. So, he should invent it before we start our family! ;) (And girl, I think you should have as many baby showers as people want to throw you--that baby stuff is way too expensive for the new parents to buy for themselves!)

Rachael said...

You can find out at 14 weeks the gender?! Wow! I bet 100 people have already told you to proceed with caution on the findings- I know several people who have found out they were having the opposite at the 2nd ultrasound. Here's hoping it's a boy, that is what you want correct?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...