16 November 2010

Round One: Epic Fail

Day 32 of this dang cycle.  No plus signs.  No period.  Ugh.

My NP called last Friday with my latest progesterone level results.  Since it was the first prog test while on a round of fertility-boosting meds, the NP's obscure voicemail led me to assume she was saving the good news for conversation.  Would my levels be better than before?  Would they fall somewhere near the top of the hormone bell curve?

Sadly, I was a couple of standard deviations to the left...

Not only did the Clomid not do its job, my progesterone levels were EXACTLY the same as they were before.  7.8.  What does that mean?  It means I didn't ovulate with medical intervention.  They tried to jump-start my finite number of follicles, and they refused to crank.

Therefore: epic fail.

So back to the drawing board we went, the NP and I.  She was shocked the Clomid had no effect on my ovaries.  Her suggestion was to use a higher dosage of the same medication should my period start on time (as in 2 days ago) or try another type of medicinal intervention: Femara.  As a fertility treatment, it would decrease your natural estrogen levels, sending a message to your brain that the necessary hormones for ovulation are incognito.  The brain realizes this is a problem and goes into hyperdrive, trying to tap into all internal hormone reserves for the right ones.  They are then found and are jet-propelled to stimulate the ovaries for egg production.  Sounds like fun, right?

Well, I did a little research on Femara.  This drug was actually created for postmenopausal women who are battling breast cancer since estrogen can lead to the development or recurrence of breast cancer.  Novartis, the company who created the drug, released a statement back in 2005 stating that women shouldn't take this drug as a fertility treatment because it could lead to birth defects, the thinning of the uterine lining (which can inhibit pregnancy), or loss of pregnancy.  I'm confused…how is this a "good suggestion" for a woman who is walking the path toward motherhood?

Assessing, reassessing, praying, cursing, blogging…  We have now entered the "Poof! There Goes the Baby-Making Magic" phase where babies don't just come from special hugs their mommies and daddies share.  Babies now are going to come from orange pill bottles and calendars and "we have to do it tonight because I'm ovulating."  Double ugh.

Here's to hoping we can bump up the Clomid dosage for Round Two.  The whole idea of Femara has me feeling a little jittery.  I'll just have to suffer through a few days of an upset stomach and try to ignore the oppressiveness of calendar-checking if we do another round of Clomid.

Here is where I will leave it tonight, with an affirmation I will use on this journey:

I have become my own version of an optimist. If I can’t make it through one door, I’ll go through another door--or I’ll make a door. Something terrific will come no matter how dark the present.                     - Rabindranath Tagore

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...