11 October 2010

Finally! An Answer--In Its Own Way

This one will be short, but bittersweet…

I got a call from the lab tech at the doc's office today with the results of my progesterone test.  The message left said my progesterone level is 7.8, which is low.  A 12-20 is considered "normal", 9-10 is "borderline", and where I am, my levels are definitely "below level".  This means that I was not ovulating, nor had I ovulated, when they took my sample last Friday.  So while this is a bummer hormone-wise, it's an answer to the "why the heck can't my ovaries pop out a damn egg?" question.

The NP wasn't in the office to discuss next steps with me, but I assume they'll finally wise up and want to do a testosterone test.  The fact that they failed to ask questions regarding signs and symptoms of potentially higher-than-normal testosterone levels leaves me a bit unsettled.  What else aren't they asking me?  What other health information do I need to have ready for them to crack this fertility code?  My voice isn't going to drop an octave, nor do I foresee a situation where I have to warn my peers, "You don't want to make me angry!" moments before plowing gigantic hairy fists through the side of a house.  But heck, when fertility, pregnancy, and babies are your business, isn't there a check-off list for newbies like myself?

Anyway, back to teacher/wife/pet parent/yoga student reality.  Thanks to everyone out there who takes the time to keep up with these updates.  Rock on.

2 comments:

kristi said...

I had low prog., too, and three losses. Went on injections and suppositories, along with some other injections (forget the name), had laparoscopy for endo, HSG, 3 IUIs, and pretty much gave up. Went to a therapist, had hypnotherapy and some antidepressants, and got preggo at 29 with my son, and daughter at 36 with no interventions at all, except for additional progesterone for first 12 weeks of the pregnancies. Strange, I know.

Llewelyn said...

I'm glad that there's been some progress and that you're getting answers. Always wish you the best!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...