14 July 2010

Hormones Are Working…Or Are They?

I was supposed to hear from my doctor last Friday about the results of my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) analysis.  They didn't call.  Is it just me, or aren't doctors' offices supposed to call when there are test results to be delivered?  When I hadn't heard from them by today, I decided to call them.

The receptionist I spoke to put me on hold to check my records.  I endured less than a minute's worth of elevator music before she clicked back over.

"Mrs. Wynne, your results came back as normal.  You will be getting a letter in the mail tomorrow stating this."

Am I supposed to be impressed by the fact that (yet again) they are mailing my results?  And what about the fact that all that the letter says is that the results are normal?  Where is the baseline data?  Where do I fall within the normal range?  What is the magic number of my normal TSH level?  Don't I, as the patient, have the right to know this information about myself?

So while I am glad that another test came back negative, it still doesn't give me an answer as to why I cannot ovulate on a month-to-month basis.  Don't hormones regulate this function of the female body?  I never thought I would find myself yearning to ride the crimson wave, but it would at the very least let me know my body was able to ovulate!

Before today, I decided I would change doctors.  My approximately 70-something-year-old male doc most likely isn't sensitive enough to my 28-year-old desiring to be a mom.  Plus, I would like a doctor who knows how to smile.  I've seen this guy 3 times in the last year, and I don't recall a single grin or chuckle.  Not that I want someone who breaks into hysterics over an exam; just no more automatons, please.  I just can't decide if I want to stay with the same office and use another doctor down the hall, or if I want to try a completely different doctors' office.

Athens-area ladies, your thoughts and ideas on OB/GYNs would be most appreciated.  :)

5 comments:

Mandy C said...

Hey Vikki! I go to Athens Obstetrics on Prince and see Dr. Ruth Cline. I love her and she does have a personality. It's very hard to get an appt there but I've also heard that the other doctors in the practice are fantastic as well. Keep the faith girly!

William said...

Just throwing my .02 into the mix, but have you ever been tested for Polycystic Ovarion Syndrome. Have your Ob/Gyn refer you to a reproductive endocrinologist and they can check via a simple blood test. Good luck with everything.

A. Hab. said...

Obviously, being in Auburn, I can't help with the Athens-area OB-GYN recommendation, but I did want to say that yes, you do have a right as the patient to receive more detailed information about your test results.

Sometimes the letters will actually state that your test results are "normal" and will then include the baseline data as well as what your results were. Sometimes they just say "normal." If I were you, I'd wait to see which letter I'd get, and then decide if another phone call (or visit) is necessary. Yeah, it annoys the office staff. Yeah, it might even annoy your doctor. But remember patient advocacy. You have to be your own advocate. I think sometimes the seasoned docs can forget that not all patients understand what "normal" means in the terms that the docs understand it, and that they like more concrete information. So bug the crap out of him. Who cares if he or his staff get annoyed, you know? This is extremely important to you and the hubs, so it needs to be treated that way.

Also, if you're thinking about changing doctors, go with that gut instinct. Myself, I've never had really good luck with male gynecologists. (But I've heard other women say the exact opposite.) On the other hand, my gynecologist previous to the one I have now is a woman and actually ended up hurting me so badly that I bled for two days afterward...and I was nowhere near my scheduled period! I found out later from a colleague who also visited her that she was in pain afterward, too. Obviously, I made the switch. Sometimes you have to go with your gut. So, I applaud you for doing that. :) When I read your last entry, I wondered about this guy. I thought, "Gee...he doesn't sound like the kind of doc who would be able to truly appreciate the miracle of her pregnancy and guide her through it with even a smidgen of sensitivity." I hope you can find someone who will, though.

Also, I'm glad your thyroid results are normal. I think you're right that hormones do have something to do with it, so be sure to keep having them run those tests on you. (I do because my mom has hypothyroidism.) And I hope you can get better answers about what "normal" means!

Amanda Jones said...

I happened upon your blog through The Copponex Family. While I am not trying to get pregnant right now, I have had a hell of a time trying to figure out what's going on with my body. I have hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) but it doesn't explain all the issues I've been having SINCE being diagnosed with that. I was tested for PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) in February, while all the bloodwork came back 'normal' the doctor felt all my symptoms still pointed to that. I was put on Metformin for 3mos...no result but suffered unpleasant side effects from the medicine. So...the existance of my story is this: I'm 25, weigh 190 and I'm 5'3 (40lbs of which I've gained from 2006 alone). No one in my family on either side is overweight yet here I am a walking blimp, something isn't right. Feel free to email me, we can swap stories :)

Llewelyn said...

Hey Vikki! I went to Classic City OB/GYN on Prince. It's an all female practice and the 3 doctors there take care of you. My period was very irregular so I've always thought that I will have issues with pregnancy. When I got pregnant, I was taking Folic acid for only a few months for health reasons which probably made me fertile. Anyway, I was really happy with my doctors and I felt very comfortable there. The office is a little old but the staff are great. Good luck with everything : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...