15 June 2010

Spread it on Thick

Back in college, Michael and I went to a gyro restaurant called "The Roly Poly" in downtown Athens. They had the most amazing wraps and gyros in town. Unfortunately, they went out of business and we have to take our appetites elsewhere for similar cuisine.

There was one ingredient on many of their wraps that I remember quite fondly. It is the condiment known as basil mayo. I tend to be more of a Miracle Whip girl than a fan of mayo, but the taste of basil mayo satisfies my palate every time.

And being who I am, I said to myself: "It can't be that hard to make!"

You know what? It's not. Here's what you need:


--as much mayo as you want (we're a Duke's family all the way)
--as much basil as you want (fresh is better)
--a sharp knife
--cutting board
--a storage container (with a lid)
--a spoon for mixing

Cut the fresh basil with your knife. A rough chop will do. Throw the basil into the mayo and stir until well mixed in your storage container. You can serve immediately or store in the fridge for the flavor of the basil to permeate the mayo for serving at a later time. I prefer using boxwood basil, by the way. The leaves are much smaller, making it easy to pluck them off their stems. You don't spend as much time chopping them, and this variety tastes exactly the same as sweet basil. If you don't have fresh basil, dried will work fine. You won't be able to taste the herb, though, unless you leave it in the fridge for an hour or two before serving.

See? Didn't I tell you it would be easy? None of the "2 1/2 tsps of this" or "5 cups of that". They are your taste buds. Experiment with your ingredients until your buds are happy.


Here's a little something I made for lunch using basil mayo. It's a tortilla wrap with a layer of the basil mayo first, then enough lettuce (from our garden, of course), shredded cheese, avocado, tomato, pickled banana peppers, and pepperoni to stuff the shell. It was a challenge to get it to close, but there was no challenge in licking the plate clean!

Go ahead. Try it. And then tell me how much you love it.

Bon aptit!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...